Homeschoolers are welcome and invited, too!
Summer time can sure be a great way to give our kids the opportunity to attend a summer camp for a few days in something they really love (or something we would love for them to learn). It also can give homeschool moms a little bit of a break! (I’m sooo looking forward to summer, myself!) And summer camps can also be a fun thing for our kids to do with a neighborhood friend that normally goes to school…or with a favorite homeschool friend that lives across town.
If your child is interested in a specific sport, look up/contact the local leagues or businesses/studios for summer camp options. Yavapai Soccer, Prescott AYSO, Little League, Softball, Basketball Camp (in PV it’s through the County), Dance, Karate, Martial Arts, Golf. There really are too many options to mention here. But I’ll do my best.
Sport Camps at Prescott YMCA
Gymnastics Camp at Prescott YMCA
Embry Riddle has sport camps: Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball
Swimming Lessons at Mountain Valley Splash or YMCA
Yavapai College for Kids: Their classes include art, language, writing, technology, nature, science, cooking, photography, drama, filmmaking. Fantastic options for exploring interests or going into depth on already known interests.
Embry Riddle also has a variety of camps for teens in aeronautics and engineering. Even a helicopter class!!
Zoo Camp at Heritage Park Zoo (there are 6 different sessions)
Other Summer Fun Ideas:
A few years ago, I wrote this post for other Summer Fun ideas. But some ideas for Summer Fun include:
- Harkins Summer Movie Series
- Summer Library reading program with activities and shows at your local library (Prescott, PV, or CV)
- Arts and Craft classes as JoAnn’s or Michael’s
- The Spot, a Children’s Museum
- Visiting local museums like the Smoki Museum, Phippen Art Museum, Sharlot Hall Museum, the Dewey museum, the museums in Jerome
- Easy to difficult hikes (or some for mountain biking) like Watson Lake Riparian Preserve, hikes on Mingus Mountain, Thumb Butte, the Constellation Trails, the white dot trails at Watson, Pea Vine/Iron King Trail, Granite Mountain hike, the new hike up to the top of Glassford Hill, Salida Gulch, Indian Ruins trail near Lynx Lake
- Day Trips to Phoenix, Sedona, Slide Rock State Park, Cottonwood, Fossil Creek, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and all that those places have to offer
- Spending an afternoon or morning at the lake: Watson Lake, Lynx Lake, Goldwater, Granite Basin, Mingus Mudhole, (Willow Lake…if you want to battle the bugs…Willow Lake is best for the trails, not the lake)
I hope with these Summer Fun Ideas you’ll have an enjoyably filled summer of learning, fun, relaxation, reading, and creativity!
* This list is definitely not comprehensive. In fact, PLEASE email me with other summer camps in the Prescott area. I will update this post periodically with additions. Please email me with the name of the Summer Camp and the website for more information, and the ages of kids the camp works with. firstname.lastname@example.org